The HICT (HOSPITAL INFECTION CONTROL TEAM) is engaged in implementation of the hospital infection control programme. Specifically, the committee shall be performing the following functions.
ICN is the link between the HICC and the hospital wards/ICUs. She is the functional unit of HICC who implements the infection control measures in the hospital; identifies problems associated with implementation of infection control measures and implements the solutions after discussing with infection control officer.
Duties of infection Control Nurse includes:
· Education of healthcare workers and patients
· Conducts daily round for HAI surveillance, hand hygiene audits, bundle care audit and disinfection adherence audit
· Maintains registers and data needle stick injuries.
· Conducts JIPMER hepatitis B vaccination campaign ensure proper immunization for Hepatitis B to all the HCWs of JIPMER.
Infection Control lab technician (ICLT):
Infection Control technician is a technician working in Dept. of Microbiology and posted in HICC. He has the following responsibility.
Duties of Infection Control lab technician (ICLT):
- Air and surface surveillance culture for OT, ICUs and other high risk areas- Involves in fixing the schedule (biannual and random), then collecting the specimen and then processing and identification.
- Performing water surveillance to test the quality for drinking water of hospital campus and other areas of the city.
- Performing rapid diagnostic tests for blood borne viruses in cases of needle stick injury.
- Bacteriological screening of breast milk collected from milk bank.
- Staff surveillance of MRSA and other MDROs.
- Performing disinfectant testing of a range disinfectant before selection of the products during the annual tender.
- Sterility checking of bone samples obtained from bone bank.
- Sterility checking of blood and blood products samples obtained blood bank.
Infection Control Officer (ICO):
The Infection Control Officer of JIPMER is a faculty from Dept. of Microbiology. He is overall responsible for the activities of HICT and reports directly to the medical superintendent.
Duties of Infection Control Officer:
- Coordinate with the medical superintendent (chairperson) in planning infection control programme and measures.
- Supervises the HAI surveillance.
- Keeps a track of any developing outbreaks: both regular consulting with by microbiological and clinical team
- Participate, guides in research activities related to infection control practices and publish them.
- Supervise the activities of department of Biomedical waste.
- Ensuring safe laboratory practices to prevent infection in staff.
- Develops guidelines for sterilization, disinfection policy and then updates periodically.
- Monitors the sterilization, disinfection practice of the hospital.
- Review and revision of Infection control Manual of JIPMER.